Thursday, March 27, 2008

Ethics to Epistemology

Originally for my graduate research seminar, i was going to write a 2000 word essay on ethics in phenomenological studies but today after a chat with my senior grad student, he inspired me to think about paradigms in environmental geography. So now instead I will be writing about paradigms and methods in environmental geography.

I don't know why I didn't think of it before. But he said it occurred to him straightaway. Then again, I was focused too much on writing something easy instead of what would be good or useful. I should really focus more on the ideal rather than the pragmatic. Don't want the Singapore virus biting me on the ass.

Don't know why I didn't think of it but isn't thinking about concepts and epistemology, changing paradigms part of my PhD plans? The more I should get a head start thinking in these directions. Does this mean I am also lacking in calibre?

Still need to do a bit of reading, writing and consulting, but here's what I wrote in the introduction.
"The subject of the environment and human-environment studies is one that spans a broad spectrum in the discipline of Geography. The term “environment” in Geography can be used to describe one’s surroundings and conditions or more specifically, the physical environment. For the former, concepts of environmental determinism, environmental perception and environmental behaviour are more frequently applied in such studies of such human-environment interactions. However, for the latter, the environment becomes the center of focus for a wide range of studies from physical geography to political and social geography. It is this latter definition that will be adopted in this essay in the examination of paradigms and methods in Environmental Geography. This essay seeks to examine the spectrum of sub-discipline and topics within Environmental Geography. With different paradigms dominating different ends of the excessively encompassing field of environmental geography, differing epistemology and methods ensue. As such this essay will discuss the push for integration between the various methods."

2 comments:

juicypout said...

We talk about paradigms in pyschology as well. i don't really understand what are paradigms. Care to explain?

Monkey said...

i find reading Thomas Kuhn's Paradigm Shift most useful in explaining
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradigm_shift
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradigm